Preparing for Sisters

30 comments

Preparing for parenting sisters

PREPARING FOR SISTERS

I have a 2 year old daughter and am currently pregnant with our second (due in August). We recently had the anatomy scan and found out there’s another little girl in there – just delightful news for me. I absolutely love having a daughter and having another one is bound to be all the more blessing (although I am sure there is equal blessing in having a son!).

I have wondered though – what will it be like raising two girls close in age in terms of sibling dynamics? I didn’t get a sister myself until I was 12 years old, which I would assume to be a very different sort of relationship to two girls only a couple of years apart. So I don’t know very much about the “sister politics” and how best to deal with them. I know sisters who are very close to each other, and sisters who have fought and not got along for most of their lives. I know it can swing either way but I’ve been wondering – what are the influencing factors? Is it a case of “you get what you’re given” or will I as a mother be able to direct my girls to love and care for each other rather than fight and hate one another?

So I’ve been talking to sisters, in the interest of research. My questions have been:
  • Did you and your sister get along with each other when you were growing up? Do you get along now?
  • What do you think influenced your relationship to be the way it was/is?

This is what I’ve learnt.

SISTERS ARE DIFFERENT

I don’t think I’ve talked to anyone yet who has said that she and her sister are very similar. One tends to be more outgoing, more organised, more creative, more sporty, more this, that or the next thing. They have different strengths and different weaknesses. Some look quite different (although some look quite similar too). The message I’m getting is: I’m unlikely to get another girl just like my firstborn.

SISTERS FIGHT

Probably related to the fact that sisters are different, is that sisters fight. When they’re young, they fight over toys and which movie to watch. When they’re teenagers, they fight over the hair straightener or the fact that the other one won’t stop singing.  When they’re adults, the fighting tends to drop off (mostly because they don’t live together anymore! Or perhaps maturity? Hehe).

SISTERS COMPETE WITH OR APPRECIATE ONE ANOTHER

This is where I saw different stories emerging. While everyone said that they were different to their sister and that they had had plenty of fights in their lives, not everyone said that they felt in competition with their sister. I was interested to find out why. From what I can gather, it seems to be primarily to do with being able to appreciate each other’s differences rather than feeling threatened by them. Feeling threatened created jealousy, which would lead to more fights and less caring for the other person. On the other hand, recognising that each sister had her own strengths and weaknesses which were just as valid as the other’s enabled them to let go of trying to compete and instead appreciate what made each person uniquely them (much like we do with our friends).

WHAT ROLE DO PARENTS PLAY?

It seems that sisters found it much easier to get along and appreciate one another if their parents did the following things:
  • Praised each one for her own unique qualities/abilities.
  • Encouraged their daughters to appreciate the positive traits and successes of the other one.
  • Reminded them that they were family and needed to learn to get along (one lady I spoke to said that her mother often used to say to her and her sister “You only have each other, you need to make the most of it.”)
  • Treated both equally, no favouritism.
  • Intervened during arguments, helped to sort out the problem and encouraged them to get over their differences and forgive one another.

SISTERS CAN BE BEST FRIENDS

The sister relationship is a unique one with the potential to be deep and rich. There is something special about having the same parents, growing up in the same environment and sharing many childhood memories. Sisters can be most themselves with each other because they’ve already seen it all growing up. And if they are able to appreciate, rather than feel threatened by, their differences, all this can even lead to sisters becoming the best of friends.

I’d really like that for my daughters.

WHAT ELSE?

I am sure there are many other things that contribute to positive sister relationships, other than the small amount of information I have gathered. What else can you tell me? How have you and your sister learnt to get along? Or, on the other hand, what has caused difficulties in your relationship? Have your parents had much to do with it?




30 comments

  1. I have two sisters and my relationship with each of them is very different although my bond with both of them is unique and special in that despite our differences I could not live without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard a lot of people say much the same thing!

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. I have four step sisters and it's always been an interesting dynamic - we used to fight (including physical fights!) and argue but are so close at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be the way of sisters - bit of a love/hate relationship at times!

      Delete
  3. I didn't have a sister, neither did my mum and neither did my daughter. It's one of those things that I wonder about - I'm not sure I could have handled it if I'd had a prettier, nicer, more popular sister - my ego is too fragile to have handled that every day in the same house (maybe God knew that and spared me from it?)
    You'll do a great job with your girls when the time comes - and I'm sure they'll love each other (and probably fight too - but that's siblings for you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've thought the same thing about if I had had a sister closer in age to me. Already feeling insecure as a teenager, I'm not sure if I could have handled a prettier, cleverer sister either! As you say - maybe God knew best :-).

      Delete
  4. I was never fortunate to have a sister, I did really want one when I was younger. I would have loved that sisterly bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is definitely something special about the sister relationship! Although plenty of cons you missed out on too ;-)

      Delete
  5. I never had a sister and have a son and a daughter so can't answer your questions but I think the sibling bond is always special whatever their gender so am sure your girls will be close :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with a brother either side of me, but acquired a (half) sister when I was already an adult, and for many years she was more like a daughter (or the daughter of a friend) as she used to come for "play dates" with my boys!! It's only now that we're both adults that she feels much more like a sister to me. I think the parenting side of sibling relationships is super important - you will be the one to instil in each of them through your prayer and encouragement that their sister is unique and precious and "she can be your best friend". But there's also that mix of innate personalities over which you as the parent have little control. Whatever mix you get, you will be a wonderful mum to your two girls and the blessings will abound, I'm sure of it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My relationship with my sister was much the same Sue - being 12 years older than her, for a long time it felt like more of an aunty/neice thing. Now that she is reaching her latter teenage years, I feel like it has become more of a traditional sister relationship which is really lovely.
      I am certainly going to do my best to encourage a good relationship between my girls, but as you say, am also aware that there are some things outside my control. That's where the trust in God comes in I suppose :-).

      Delete
  7. I have a sister 3 years younger than me and she is - and always was - my best friend. There is so much I could say about having a sister but I have cherished her since my mom brought her home from the hospital and now with me in at 40 and her at 37 we are still just as close. We have had our fights and we did go for a time without talking to each other in our 20's but it was short lived. Siblings will fight and there will be times when they don't get along but the bond is usually very strong. I have a lifelong friend in my sister ( my brothers too but my sister and I have a different bond).
    My sister and I are also very different in both appearance and personality. We never needed to compete with each other but appreciated our differences. As for what parents can do to help the relationship blossom, I have no answer for that because the adults in my life were always trying to split us apart, which only made us closer. I wouldn't recommend that though.
    I have two sons who are 5 years apart and like the parents who have given you advice already about the sisters dynamic it's pretty similar with boys. I do intervene when I need to and I encourage a positive relationship between them. They are very close but they, too, have their squabbles. I think the advice you have been given about the role of the parents is very encouraging:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you enjoy such a positive relationship with your sister - even in spite of the adults in your lives! Sounds like you're doing a good job with your boys too :-).

      Delete
  8. Ahh I love this. I always wanted a sister, I'm gutted I had a brother instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh well, what can you do hey! At least a brother is good protection ;-)

      Delete
  9. I have a sister whose 5 years younger than me though at times it feels like a generational gap but we have an interesting loving relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The age gap between sisters does seem to make a difference, though less so as you get older. Glad your sister relationship is a positive one :-).

      Delete
  10. I only have a brother and he's 7 years younger than me.
    However, I do have 3 daughters myself, aged 8, 2 and almost 1. (There are 2 boys 8 and 4 too) The oldest girl is amazing with her sisters. She plays games with them, brushes their hair. The youngest 2 tend to fight a bit. There's 21 months between them and they are really the best of friends and worst of enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best of friend and worst of enemies seems to be the nature of sisters close in age! Hopefully tending more towards the friends end most of the time as they grow older :-)

      Delete
  11. This is such a wonderful post, and it is so awesome that you are researching this now, before your second sweet daughter is born.

    I have a younger sister, but we do not get along at all. We are sooooo very different. The biggest problem with us was our parents, well really our mother. She played favorites and played us against each other a lot. I was a little easier to deal with, and my sister was pretty head strong, so she got away with a lot more than I did.

    I think all of the things that you mentioned as the parents rolls in raising girls is spot on. And I think you will do an amazing job!!

    Blessings,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you link up this post at our link up, if you would like!!!

      Live Life Well: Encouragement for the Journey @ The Quiet Homemaker! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for linking up @LiveLifeWell!!

      Blessings,

      Amy

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comment Amy :-). Sorry to hear your relationship with your sister has not been great! It's certainly the danger when sisters are very different and parents don't do everything in their power to help them get along. A warning to us as parents that what we do matters!
      I was pleased to be invited to join the link up - haven't worked out yet how to add your link up button to my page but hopefully can figure it out sometime today. :-)

      Delete
  12. I have four sisters and we are all very close. We just had a "sisters weekend" that we do every year around mothers day. Everything you mention in this post are how we have managed to be great friends as adults. Our parents were a big part of us being friends. We did have fights in our younger years but our parents would talk to us about our fights and helped us to reconcile our differences. They also encouraged us to support each other in our activties. If someone had a ball game or a choir concert the other siblings attended. I think it's wonderful you are being aware now and want a great realtionshp for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisters weekend - what a great idea! That's really lovely that you have not just one but three great sister relationships! Sounds like your parents did a great job and it's encouraging to hear that what they did in encouraging you to support one another made a difference :-).

      Delete
  13. I have two sisters, one seven years older and one seven years younger. (The boys and I are in the middle). My older sister was gone by the time I was old enough to appreciate her and ditto for me with my little sister. Now that we are all grandmothers, we finally get to be best friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never I suppose! I think one of the wonderful things about sisters is they stay sisters for your entire life - there is plenty of time to develop and improve your relationship! Thanks for your comment :-)

      Delete
  14. I have a sister that is 3 years younger than me. We got along mostly growing up...ok...we fought a lot! She is very different than me. We mostly drove eachother crazy because we shared a room. She was incredibly messy and didn't care about stuff everywhere, whereas it drove me insane to be surrounded by mess. I remember putting a string down the room and threatening her let her stuff get on my side. Lol! I always thought most of that was just normal sibling stuff. We are still different, but we love and respect eachother. Thank you for linking up with us at #LiveLifeWell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very funny and sounds like fairly typical sister behaviour actually! It's great to hear that your relationship developed into one of love and respect though :-). It was my pleasure to link up, thanks for hosting!

      Delete

Please tick the "notify me" box if you'd like to receive an email when I reply to your comment.